Committed. Competent. Caring.
Marilyn C. Belo
- Long-Term Care Planning
- Estate Planning
- Special Needs
- Pet Trust
- Medicaid Planning
- Veteran's Benefit
Ms. Belo, Lynn, originally hails from Staten Island in New York. However, she spent her formative years in London and had also lived in Miami, Rio de Janiero, Brazil and Washington D.C.. Ms. Belo earned her undergraduate degree in Portuguese and Spanish from Georgetown University School of Languages and Linguistics. Following several years working at international banks she attended the Johns Hopkins University School of International Studies and received her MA in Latin American Studies in 1986. She worked in New York City for 8 years and then took some time to raise her two children. During that time she became involved in special education advocacy, co-founded a special needs parent organization, served on the boards of several churches and parent teacher associations.
In 2005, Ms. Belo received her JD degree from Pace University School of Law with a Certificate in Health Law and in 2007 completed a Geriatric Studies program at the University of Florida. Ms. Belo's interest in elder law emanates from her experiences in other cultures where elders are regarded with respect and deference as well as her experience providing care for the elders in her immediate family. She has walked the walk of caretaker for elders and is familiar with the joys and challenges of parenting a child on the autism spectrum.
Ms. Belo formed her firm in 2007 with the intent of providing personal, caring and competent legal counsel to elders as they contemplate their long term needs as well as those who seek to help elders and families planning for children with special needs.
This firm is guided by a philosophy emphasizing respect for life in all stages. The areas of particular emphasis include: long term care planning, advanced directives, wills, probate, trusts, guardianships, pet trusts, powers of attorney, living wills, health care surrogate designations and special needs planning. Ms. Belo is a member of the Florida Bar, the Florida Bar Elder Law and Real Property and Probate Sections, The National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, The Academy of Florida Elder Law Attorneys, and the Florida State Guardianship Association. She serves on the boards of the following organizations: the Eighth Judicial Circuit Bar Association, the Hailes Angels Pet Rescue and St. Francis Catholic High School. She is also a member of the Senior Advocacy Network, the Florida State Guardianship Association, where she is chair of the North Central Florida Chapter, and is a Board Member of AVA. Lynn enjoys tennis, walking her 4 rescue dogs and spending time with family and friends. She speaks Portuguese fluently and Spanish tolerably.
Lynn is the advocate for you and your family. She is also a Florida Bar Board Certified Attorney in Elder Law. In order to receive this designation, she has been evaluated for professionalism and tested for expertise in this area.
- Pace University School of Law, White Plains, New York
- J.D. - 2005
- Honors: Certificate in Health Law
- Georgetown University School of Languages and Linguistics
- Major: Portuguese and Spanish
- Johns Hopkins University School of International Studies
- M.A. - 1986
- Major: Latin American Studies
- University of Florida
- Honors: Geriatric Studies program
- LLM, Elder Law Stetson University - Florida Circuit Court Mediator
Certified Legal Specialties
- Florida Bar Board Certified Attorney in Elder Law
- Florida Bar, Member
- Florida Bar Elder Law and Real Property and Probate Sections, Member
- The National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Member
- The Academy of Florida Elder Law Attorneys, Member
- Florida State Guardianship Association, Member
- Catholic Foundation of Diocese of St. Augustine, Chair of Development Committee
- St. Francis Catholic High School
- Member, Senior Advocacy Network